All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Windows, Walls & Doors    correcting front door
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

correcting front door Sign In/Join 
        posted
        The front door in our home has dramatically shifted in the frame in the past several months leaving a gap on the bottom inside half (from the knob down) that lets in a considerable amount of light, noise and wind; especially as we have no storm door. It also no longer closes tightly, meaning that even once closed and locked, we can still push on it quite a bit. What steps do I need to take to correct this and is it something that we can do on our own (I am fairly handy, with a brain and common sense!).

Posts: 2 | Registered: Feb 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Metal, wood fiberglass door?
        New house, old house?
        Checked for loose hindge screws yet?
        Checked under the house in that area to see what may be causing the settling?
        If the gaps at the bottom of the door often times it's as simple as removing a top hindge screw and adding a 3" screw of the same gauge.

joecaption

Posts: 18026 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Metal door; ten year old townhome; concrete under in that section; checked for loose hinge screws and are good. Seems to be that the door has 'tilted' in some way. Would I need to remove door and adjust frame to level? Is it possible that it has shifted in some way over time? Is this a fairly simple fix just requiring time?

Posts: 2 | Registered: Feb 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Hard to say without at least a picture so we can see just how bad it is.
        Most of the time I find that long screw missing. When the door was delivered it came with the long screws to mount the door. Most of the time I find them still in the bag stapled to the back side of the jambs under the trim where someone was just to lazy to install them.
        If I was checking it out I would use a framing square and a 2' level to see where it's off, then decide how to fix it.

joecaption

Posts: 18026 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        It could be sagging hinges that are lacking a long enough screw as Joe suggests - that would be a fairly simple fix.

Once you check the frame with a square and level, that will tell you if the door frame has moved. If so, then the next step is to figure out why. Since you have concrete under the door, the slab could have settled, taking the walls and door frame with it. Rehanging the door to make it plumb again will solve things for a short time only - if the settling continues you will have the same problem all over again.

Finally check to see if the door frame and trim have any rot damage. This could cause the doorframe to move and the door to become misaligned. Most obvious place will be at the bottom of the door jambs on wither side.

Jaybee

Posts: 10317 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Is the front door the only obvious location of shifting? Are you in an area which was subject to extreme drought last year? I recall watching a clip last year either on the Weather Channel or a news channel on subsidence causing shifting of (parts of) homes in heavy drought areas.

Posts: 1914 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Kershaws Doors
        posted Hide Post
        First you need to check the frame of your door and then get it leveled. This will help you to known that the door is moved. As you have a metal door and its in concrete it might have settled in slab. Getting it repaired may solve this problem for some time.

This issue also occurs as per the weather conditions. If you have such problem it will get settled as weather changes.

Posts: 2 | Location: Bradford, Yorkshire | Registered: Mar 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        maybe it's just the rowdy crews I live and work with, but every commercial-style steel door/frame set out of line with the frame I have encountered is from bohunks hanging on the door and twisting its frame at the hinge areas.

if you can't fix that by putting a 2x4 or a steel bar under the door and yanking it up (like the factory guys do with car doors on the production line) then the whole shebang needs to be replaced.

on a residential door, assuming there is a correct header and the house foundation is not shifting, I'm also with the 3-inch screw crowd. foundation issues are starting to be widespread where we've had drought issues, so be sure to look for cracks in the foundation, slab, or in the ground near the door before getting too serious with it. if they are there, get a local contractor to look things over.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5737 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Removing the door for me is a good idea and check the possibility most of the time we can't see it but we can feel where the problem.This year i am planning to change my front door in my home in Espoo Finland and i am planning to change it into lasiovi or french door which i notice really perfect as a front door in my home.

Posts: 7 | Location: Philippines | Registered: Aug 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post