All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Windows, Walls & Doors    Water pours in around my window air conditioner every time it rains
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Water pours in around my window air conditioner every time it rains Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I live on the top floor of a fairly tall apartment building in a windy neighborhood. Whenever it rains, it's a STRONG wind-swept rain. Without fail, water always comes pouring in around my window air conditioner (nothing special, just a typical 10,000 BTU window unit). This isn't too much of a problem during a quick downpour, but it's a BIG problem during a long, sustained rain storm. Not fun to wake up at 3am and spend the next two hours wiping up water with towels, ringing them out, etc. At least I can deal with it if I'm at home, but I'm worried that my downstairs neighbor's apartment will sustain water damage if there's a bad rain storm while I'm gone.

I've sealed every crack, crevice, and cranny that I can find, using duct tape and foam insulation. I've asked the building maintenance guy for advice; he had no suggestions other than to use bath towels to sop up the water (yes, I've been doing that, thank you). I leave towels on the windowsill and on the floor when I'm not at home, just in case it rains, but is there anything else I can do?

I only have windows on one side of my apartment, so moving the AC to a window with less exposure is not an option.

I'm also not allowed to do anything that would modify or damage the window, windowsill, etc.

Posts: 1 | Location: Maine, USA | Registered: May 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Post a picture of it outside.
        100% Tipped slightly so water runs off the top of it?

joecaption

Posts: 17987 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by dirigo1820:
        I live on the top floor of a fairly tall apartment building in a windy neighborhood. Whenever it rains, it's a STRONG wind-swept rain. Without fail, water always comes pouring in around my window air conditioner (nothing special, just a typical 10,000 BTU window unit). This isn't too much of a problem during a quick downpour, but it's a BIG problem during a long, sustained rain storm. Not fun to wake up at 3am and spend the next two hours wiping up water with towels, ringing them out, etc. At least I can deal with it if I'm at home, but I'm worried that my downstairs neighbor's apartment will sustain water damage if there's a bad rain storm while I'm gone.

I've sealed every crack, crevice, and cranny that I can find, using duct tape and foam insulation. I've asked the building maintenance guy for advice; he had no suggestions other than to use bath towels to sop up the water (yes, I've been doing that, thank you). I leave towels on the windowsill and on the floor when I'm not at home, just in case it rains, but is there anything else I can do?

I only have windows on one side of my apartment, so moving the AC to a window with less exposure is not an option.

I'm also not allowed to do anything that would modify or damage the window, windowsill, etc.

what I believe is your not required to replace the entire bay window. You may be able to rebuild it with some sort of insulation and glass or, if the glass is single pane, you could get new of the same size to fit right in. But if you live in an area in which high speed winds and hurricanes occurs quite often then replace your window film with the one that usually coming with the impact windows fort lauderdale these days they are quite sustainable as well. But this is the second option, First try to fill up the insulation and if that doesn't work then go for option number two.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lillian hofstader,

Posts: 1 | Location: 675 The Arches Cir, Lion Park | Registered: Jan 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post