DIY Message Boards
Drywall finishing "open end" of wall

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1491013504/m/8593918008

Jan 27, 2014, 12:27 PM
SturdyNail
Drywall finishing "open end" of wall
Hello,

What is the best way to finish an "open end" of a wall; it could be a pony wall or post--any wall that has a free end?
An open end is about 4.5 - 5" wide. Do you try to fill it so that the middle is on the same plane as the outer edge of the corner bead (a LOT of mud in my case) or do you allow the edge of the corner bead to be "proud" of the rest of the surface?

Thanks in advance.
Jan 27, 2014, 01:27 PM
joecaption
Why would you not use drywall and 2,metal outside corner beads?

joecaption
Jan 27, 2014, 02:50 PM
SturdyNail
Sorry Joe, I wasn't clear.
I did use drywall too. I'm just having a hard time getting a nice, smooth, finish on the mud.
So, if I put a straight edge across the two corner beads, the face of the drywall is maybe 1/8" behind that straight edge. Does that make sense?
Jan 27, 2014, 03:10 PM
joecaption
Yes that makes since.
What's worked for me is do the first coat with hot mud.
Fast build up and does not crack when it dries like regular drywall compound does.

joecaption
Jan 27, 2014, 05:23 PM
SturdyNail
Thanks Joe. Although I don't know what "hot mud" is. Do you think they'd know what it is at Home Depot or Lowes?
Jan 27, 2014, 05:40 PM
joecaption
I doubt it.
Just go in the Drywall area and look for the bags.
It comes several different ways according to how fast it hardens.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/SHE...und-384210/100321610
Unless your really good and fast just buy the slower setting one.
I tried the 30 min. one and it was hard before I could get it out of the pan.
It's hell to get old.

joecaption
Jan 27, 2014, 06:35 PM
Re-mdlr
quote:
Originally posted by SturdyNail:

So, if I put a straight edge across the two corner beads, the face of the drywall is maybe 1/8" behind that straight edge. Does that make sense?

That is normal to have that situation. Fill it with mud, use a good 8 inch blade to help apply the mud. Regular mud will shrink, that is normal, reapply another coat. Also, I tape the metal edges before applying the mud, but a lot of people don't do that. You can get mud in "60 minute", but if you have time, regular mud will work and let it dry overnight. I use 30 minute mud for patch work only.
Jan 27, 2014, 08:21 PM
SturdyNail
So, "hot mud" means "fast setting"?

Joe, I'm not good at drywalling. I don't have a lot of practice and I don't seem to have a good feel for it. I'm definitely not fast and getting older isn't helping that situation at all Wink

Re-mdlr, I don't know if I'm picturing this correctly. Do you use the tape like it was an inside corner--except you're creasing the tape over the outside corner? That seems like it would make the job a lot harder.
Jan 27, 2014, 11:39 PM
Re-mdlr
I place the tape part way on the metal (near that corner ridge that is the cause of the 1/8 inch gap between the lifted edge and the drywall when you place a straight edge across the two corner beads) and the rest on the drywall, not around the corner. Mud first, tape, set the tape in the mud, then a nice coat of mud since you have that 1/8 inch gap to fill. And I do it on both sides of the metal piece. Don't try to get a perfect finish on the original coat, the mud will shrink as it dries, and you'll still have to go over it a couple more times.

The link joecaption gave is for a powdered mix, you can buy premixed.
What I use always depends on the size and speed of repair I'm doing -- or what is sitting around from the last job and needs getting used.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Re-mdlr,
Jan 31, 2014, 01:49 PM
Frodo
i do it in 2 coats, skim the wall, let it dry overnite and add a nother layer where i need it the next day.