All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Windows, Walls & Doors    Drywall finishing "open end" of wall
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Drywall finishing "open end" of wall Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Hello,

What is the best way to finish an "open end" of a wall; it could be a pony wall or post--any wall that has a free end?
        An open end is about 4.5 - 5" wide. Do you try to fill it so that the middle is on the same plane as the outer edge of the corner bead (a LOT of mud in my case) or do you allow the edge of the corner bead to be "proud" of the rest of the surface?

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 261 | Location: Western NewYork | Registered: Jan 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Why would you not use drywall and 2,metal outside corner beads?

joecaption

Posts: 17995 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Sorry Joe, I wasn't clear.
        I did use drywall too. I'm just having a hard time getting a nice, smooth, finish on the mud.
        So, if I put a straight edge across the two corner beads, the face of the drywall is maybe 1/8" behind that straight edge. Does that make sense?

Posts: 261 | Location: Western NewYork | Registered: Jan 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Yes that makes since.
        What's worked for me is do the first coat with hot mud.
        Fast build up and does not crack when it dries like regular drywall compound does.

joecaption

Posts: 17995 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks Joe. Although I don't know what "hot mud" is. Do you think they'd know what it is at Home Depot or Lowes?

Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        I doubt it.
        Just go in the Drywall area and look for the bags.
        It comes several different ways according to how fast it hardens.
        http://www.homedepot.com/p/SHE...und-384210/100321610
        Unless your really good and fast just buy the slower setting one.
        I tried the 30 min. one and it was hard before I could get it out of the pan.
        It's hell to get old.

joecaption

posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by SturdyNail:

So, if I put a straight edge across the two corner beads, the face of the drywall is maybe 1/8" behind that straight edge. Does that make sense?

That is normal to have that situation. Fill it with mud, use a good 8 inch blade to help apply the mud. Regular mud will shrink, that is normal, reapply another coat. Also, I tape the metal edges before applying the mud, but a lot of people don't do that. You can get mud in "60 minute", but if you have time, regular mud will work and let it dry overnight. I use 30 minute mud for patch work only.

Posts: 874 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        So, "hot mud" means "fast setting"?

Joe, I'm not good at drywalling. I don't have a lot of practice and I don't seem to have a good feel for it. I'm definitely not fast and getting older isn't helping that situation at all Wink

Re-mdlr, I don't know if I'm picturing this correctly. Do you use the tape like it was an inside corner--except you're creasing the tape over the outside corner? That seems like it would make the job a lot harder.

posted Hide Post
        I place the tape part way on the metal (near that corner ridge that is the cause of the 1/8 inch gap between the lifted edge and the drywall when you place a straight edge across the two corner beads) and the rest on the drywall, not around the corner. Mud first, tape, set the tape in the mud, then a nice coat of mud since you have that 1/8 inch gap to fill. And I do it on both sides of the metal piece. Don't try to get a perfect finish on the original coat, the mud will shrink as it dries, and you'll still have to go over it a couple more times.

The link joecaption gave is for a powdered mix, you can buy premixed.
        What I use always depends on the size and speed of repair I'm doing -- or what is sitting around from the last job and needs getting used.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Re-mdlr,

Posts: 874 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        i do it in 2 coats, skim the wall, let it dry overnite and add a nother layer where i need it the next day.

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post