All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Windows, Walls & Doors    help! windows have cracks underneath, see through clear to outside (photo)
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

help! windows have cracks underneath, see through clear to outside (photo) Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Our house was built in 1955 and is a pier and beam house with crawlspace (backstory). We bought in 2009 after it had been renovated with new windows. I was sitting in our living room floor yesterday and noticed I was eye level with some cracks under the window itself in two of my windows - I could see clear through to the outside. Photos attached. The white you see directly above the crack is the vinyl window itself - not a wood framing. It sits directly on top of the wood sill and has caulk around it. What is this a sign of, and how should we fix it? My first thought was caulk, but is that enough? Is there a bigger root issue? Maybe the windows were installed incorrectly...? Not sure how long the cracks have been there, but I hadn't noticed them until yesterday. Thank you!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: skapiratey,

crack under window

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        first thought is really cheap caulk, and just skimmed on. there isn't ten cents of caulk around each window.

I'd scrape it all off, and recaulk with a good 40 or 50 year grade of siliconized acrylic caulk. really shoot it in there from a fine (close to the end) cut in the caulk tube, and then wipe off the excess. you want to get under the window.

finish it off with a wet finger smoothing, and wait a couple days if you want to paint to be sure it sets up. yes, go outside and do that as well, and be sure to recheck inside when done in case you pushed some of that material back out.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5504 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thank you! Very helpful. I will go find that type of caulk. Good tips on actual application. I have only done caulk in one-sided scenarios (back splashes and bathtubs). I would not have thought to check the outside as well.

Do you think the window appears to be installed correctly? My mom mentioned something about windows needing to be framed out - these windows appear to be set directly against the drywall on the tops and sides, and directly on top of the sill on the bottom, with no visible wood framing around any of the sides - just caulk.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        the framing for the window, which is needed to keep the house from sagging and which even half-drunk teenage kids of the apprentices know to put in, will keep it solid. the framing or trim should extend past the drywall. if it doesn't, get some quarter-inch plywood or oak mullion and your circular saw and put 'em in after the caulking.

one good caulk, which is alleged to last 50 years but I'll eat my hat if it does, assuming I'm 110 years old and still around, is DAP Alex Plus. don't use it in bathrooms, but it's a good caulk for areas that are dry or dry quickly in the wind. otherwise, pure 100% silicone, which can't be painted. best brands are GE Silicone II and DAP, which is Dow Corning in DAP tubes.

now all I need is a hat made out of chocolate...

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5504 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Something's wrong here.
        Looks to be a replacement window.
        If so that window should have been sitting on the sill, and the apron would have covered up that whole area.
        There's something wrong on the outside to. No way should you be seeing light all the way to the outside from the inside.
        Need a picture of the outside and one of the inside without the curtains in the way, from top to bottom.

joecaption

Posts: 17998 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post