All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Windows, Walls & Doors    New replacement vinyl windows not installed correctly?
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

New replacement vinyl windows not installed correctly? Sign In/Join 
        posted
        we have old hard board siding and underneath the siding is an inch of foam insulation. The contractor replacing our windows has cut back the siding to make room for the window flange but left the foam insulation, he nailed the window in place through the foam into the studs. I just don't think this is correct. Any suggestions?

Posts: 7 | Registered: Oct 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Need a picture.
        Most likely they had to do it that way so the window trim would sit proud of the newer siding.
        It also may be less likely to leak inside the wall.
        Without removing the siding there's no good way to properly waterproof that nailing fin so the foam may act to keep the water out.

joecaption

Posts: 18025 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I will get a picture posted asap.

posted Hide Post
        hope this pic posts.

posted Hide Post
        1 more pic

Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        I personally would have removed the siding not tear to shreds like that.
        I also would have flashed the bottom area of the rough opening, installed the window and left that bottom piece of window flashing off.
        Reason being it would allow water to get out if it ever got in behind the nailing fin.
        Not a deal breaker though.
        As I though he had to install it that way to be able to slide the new siding in behind the built in J moulding.
        Make sure they seal all the cut ends where it goes into the J moulding.

joecaption

Posts: 18025 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        sorry I am not following where you want them to caulk?

posted Hide Post
        sorry Im not following you about caulking all the ends that were cut?

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Sealing on top of the foam is OK, as the 1/2" of foam thickness is the sheathing on the house. They also did tape over the flanges so it shouldn't leak.

Not so sure what's going on with the siding removal - looks like a real hack job. Anyone you hires should know better than to rip siding off like that - unless all the siding is going to be removed and replaced it just makes it harder to patch back in. Also looks like the window is set up for vinyl siding - appears to have a slotted brick molding that only works with flexible vinyl siding, not Masonite like what is on the house now. This will just be a problem when trimming back to the new window.

Jaybee

Posts: 10298 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        yes the siding is being replaced,but yes i jacked him up for ripping the siding off instead of cutting it.

Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        If he had of cut the old siding it would have punctured the vapor barrier on the sheathing.

joecaption

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Badger, was this a window contractor who did this?

If the installation isn't fixed to your satisfaction, you can complain to your state's corporate licensing and regulation department. It may do some good and help to get remediation.

Good luck.

Posts: 1902 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        can't see if the weather flashing was tucked around the framing and overlapped so water HAS to run out and then down, but otherwise, looks OK. the seaming has to be caulked. the siding has to be restored, and should have all sides of the new wuz-wood siding primed and painted. you are probably going to have to repaint that side of the house to get a paint match.

but if the unseen was done OK, rest easier.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5723 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post