All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Windows, Walls & Doors    Need Temporary Door Solution
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Need Temporary Door Solution Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I have what I guess would be called a rectangular archway into both the dining and living rooms. I desperately need doors installed in the archways, but the house isn't mine and I'm not allowed to install doors.

Is there some sort of temporary door I could install for 2-3 months that wouldn't involve putting holes in the walls? Whatever door goes there, it would have to be something that keeps the cats out, which is the whole purpose of the doors. So it wouldn't necessarily have to be a wooden door. Anything that keeps the cats out would be fine. But I would need to go into these rooms numerous times a day.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Aug 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        If you can do minor patching of a few screw holes, then it's easy enough. Get some interior, pre-hung door units that are of a size so that the frame and trim will fit inside the doorway. Or, you could even size them so that the trim overlaps the sides of the existing opening. In either case, they can be held in place with a few screws. These will leave small holes that would have to be filled and painted.

If screw holes are too much, then you could shim the unit in tightly and anchor it with a few well-placed finish nails. These would leave very tiny holes that are easily filed and hidden.

Jaybee

Posts: 10478 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post