All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Windows, Walls & Doors    Need a interior or exterior door????
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Need a interior or exterior door???? Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I have an add on bonus room. Between my kitchen and this room is an exterior set of french doors. (the bonus room used to be an outdoor patio) In order to make room for cabinets, I want to remove this 6' door and replace it with a 36" door of wood and glass.

I'd like this door to be insulated but to have no or a very minimal threshold. The bonus room is not cooled or heated except when in use and it is also used for playing loud music! It doesn't absolutely have to seal but should block as much of the heat and sound as possible.

Are there exterior doors that would fit the bill? How do I get a door without a threshold?

Posts: 2488 | Registered: Apr 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        My professional opinion is that if you have a situation such as yours where you need an insulated door, then you should also keep the threshold. Removing the threshold will negate much of the sound and temperature advantages of the insulated door.

However, if you want to do it, then the simple and least expensive way is to get a pre-hung insulated door unit and just remove the threshold prior to install.

Jaybee

Posts: 10292 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I wasn't sure I could remove the threshold without the unit falling apart. I don't need it absolutely sealed. Would you also cut the jams down slightly to lower the door a bit since it won't have the threshold?

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Cutting it down depends on what type of flooring material you have and how even it is. You'll have to leave it up a little, I wouldn't cut it down to closer than 1/2" above the floor. As I understand it, one side of this door faces on temperature controlled living space while the other is indoors, but not heated or air conditioned. If that's the case, then you may want to add some type of 'soft' type sweep - like one of those brush types. This would keep there from being a draft under the door yet still allow it to swing freely. Also, don't forget that you will need to allow for some seasonal expansion and contraction of both door and floors so you can't cut the door too close to the floor.

Out of curiosity, why is it that you do not want a threshold?

On an exterior door, the thickness of the threshold allows for a space between the door and the floor while the door is swinging open or closed. For interior doors, it's typical for a gap to remain at the bottom - both to keep the door from rubbing on the floor as it swings and to allow return air from modern H/A systems.

Jaybee

Posts: 10292 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        A small threshold wouldn't be bad. Right now, The threshold is about 1.5 inches - almost like a track. It is a step down into the next room about 4". So you have to step up to step down. Also, that loud music involves moving road cases from the outside room into the house through this door, so the less lifting the better. I like the sweep idea!

posted Hide Post
        Also, we are in Arizona and the outside room is very well insulated. Cold is not an issue at all. In the summer it has evap cooling which works great except for about 4 weeks.

posted Hide Post
        I am seeing your perspective of expanding your space, but you know what it would add up ambiance when you use glass doors in it.. for quality and affordable glass doors and any type of doors check http://caldwells.com/exterior-doors/glass-doors, and see their portfolios.

Posts: 3 | Location: USA | Registered: Jan 04, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post