All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Windows, Walls & Doors    Door knob won't uninstall!
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Door knob won't uninstall! Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I wanted to replace the interior door handle for one room to ones with key locks. Except I can't uninstall the old door knobs.

After I removed the knobs and rosettes from both sides. I found no screws just two long holes on each side. There does seem to be a latch in one of the slits on the exterior side of the door but I can't seem to do anything with it. Its not budging.
        I attempted to try and pry them apart but I don't want to ruin the door.

Has anyone encountered this kind of door knob. It's really old. I would appreciate any help!

door with no screws!

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jan 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by somsomy:
        I wanted to replace the interior door handle for one room to ones with key locks. Except I can't uninstall the old door knobs.

After I removed the knobs and rosettes from both sides. I found no screws just two long holes on each side. There does seem to be a latch in one of the slits on the exterior side of the door but I can't seem to do anything with it. Its not budging.
        I attempted to try and pry them apart but I don't want to ruin the door.

Has anyone encountered this kind of door knob. It's really old. I would appreciate any help!

Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        Did you also remove the screws and strike plate from the edge of the door? Often times this passes through the handle mechanism and holds it in place.

Posts: 6894 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Yes, I did remove the screws from the strike plate; it didn't seems to do anything.

Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        Can you wiggle it and pull the latch all the way out of the door edge?

Posts: 6894 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        No, I cannot seem to. I tried prying it but I ended up chipping the top off of my flat head screwdriver Frown

Is the latch supposed to come free from the side of the door?

Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        Don't know for sure. You do have some good pictures. You might take copies down to a local locksmith and get their opinion? They are often very helpful, if you bring them images.

Sometimes the ring plate, (against the room side of the door knob assembly) either pries off with a narrow screw driver (protect the door with a flat piece of metal) or the whole plate unscrews. Might try using a blade knife and carefully cutting through the paint layers to check?

If it were me.... I would plan on replacing the entire lock/latch assembly. If it is older, getting a new knob/lock to work in it might be a tough marriage of parts.

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        It sure looks like those tabs are what holds it in place - could be that the plates are stuck to the paint on the door.

Jaybee

Posts: 10483 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks for the replies!

I did try prying the whole rosette off the door but its on there tight. Honestly, I don't think its the paint because the screwdrivers are bending (and they're good one too!)

I already bought an all new door knob with lock assembly, not looking to replace any parts. However, I would need to remove the old one. I have replaced door knobs and things before and its usually a simple task with a screwdriver or two, but never encountered this thing before. It is a really old house from the 60's in DC, don't know if that helps anyone..?

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Haven't seen this style before so just guessing: Any chance that the rosette is threaded on?

Jaybee

Posts: 10483 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Hi, I'm not sure what you mean; do you mean put straight through the wood of the door instead of from either side? No, honestly, its really stuck on; anyone hear of gluing door knobs to a door? Cause this thing ain't moving!

Thanks for your help

Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        You are lucky these look to be solid wood doors.
        I might just start carefully hammering away at the remaining metal parts and see what comes apart? I had to get a garage man door, knob/assembly off in this manner many years ago. It was pretty satisfying, as I recall. Smile

If nothing else, since you want a lock, have you considered just adding a keyed deadbolt above this existing door latch?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Conrad,