All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Windows, Walls & Doors    Sheet Rock over Raised Wood Panels-How to cover??
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Sheet Rock over Raised Wood Panels-How to cover?? Sign In/Join 
        Picture of islandready
        posted
        Hi,
        I am considering purchasing a home that has wood paneled walls. This is not regular old paneling, it is actually a wood siding with raised panels. I have included a picture.
        How would you cover this? I am thinking sheet rock over the wood, but it is not flat due to the raised areas. I would appreciate any ideas. I don't know if you could paint it very well, it is a rougher type wood..appears to be stained?
        My thanks in advance for any help Smile

Posts: 3 | Registered: Feb 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        One mans trash is anothers mans wine. Maybe you could cut it down to 3 ft high, remove the upper half and then sheetrock. Leave the lower portion for a nice wainscot appearance. Or if you want to get rid of it, I'd pull it off, remove it, and then sheetrock (first check the wires and insulation in the wall before sheetrocking -- checking for any updating that needs to be done). But I wouldn't just sheetrock over it. That is going to add some challenges around the doors and windows that will be addressed with changes of the trim. But from the pic, it looks too nice to sheetrock over -- maybe someone will remove it for free if they can haul the wood with them. You could paint over it, but I think it would look tacky.

I live in the mountains, I like the way it looks. But I would paint the doors a different color. But if you buy the home, it's yours to do as you please.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Re-mdlr,

Posts: 990 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        I like how it looks too, but it's not my house. So if you don't like it, get rid of it.

Really, the best choice is to just tear it out and then install new drywall directly on top of the studs. As Re-mdlr points out, adding a layer of drywall on top of everything that is there will make for huge amounts of work (time and money) just to modify the trim around doors and windows.

Demolition is easy. Two people and thirty minutes and all the wood and battens in that room would be gone. Then you'll be ready to hang drywall - if that's what you want. Taking it all out also gives you the chance to make any electrical changes or add insulation if you need to.

Jaybee

Posts: 10477 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of islandready
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks for your input. I am posting a few more pictures. Most of the house walls are this wood siding. It is so dark. I might not mind one room in it, but so many rooms and the hallway, make it really dark. It appears that the original owner just finished the house interior (for the most part) with this wood siding. I don't believe there is anything behind it except studs/electrical. I am trying to estimate my cost in this also. I know sheet rocking all those rooms will get expensive. I have wondered about using bead board along the bottom to lighten ups some of the rooms. Not sure how that would look or if I could attach it properly Smile. I am not a contractor, but I can do some of this myself..maybe. I welcome any additional comments/suggestions Smile

Picture of islandready
        posted Hide Post
        Heres another picture

posted Hide Post
        You don't have to remove it all, it would save money -- but you can leave some as an 'accent wall'.

Posts: 990 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I would very carefully take the wood off, pull all the nails through, then sell it as reclaimed wood. Make sure to use these pictures so it will represent what you have.
        In my area that wood is worth more then the drywall.

Posts: 907 | Registered: Jan 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post