DIY Message Boards
true up framing

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1491013504/m/5873939377

Sep 20, 2013, 12:55 AM
secret52
true up framing
I am remodeling my house. It used to be lath and plaster walls. I put a 6ft level along the studs and some are lined up but most of the walls wave in and out. I was wondering which would be the better way to true them up. They are load bearing walls. Is it better to remove and replace them one at a time trying to keep them straight or would it be easier to attach a 2x6 to one side of each stud and give more room for running electrical/plumbing and adding sound dampening spray foam insulation.
Not all the current studs reach from floor to ceiling. Some have a short piece attached to the bottom to complete it.
Sep 20, 2013, 05:23 AM
Jaybee
If you want a perfectly plumb wall, then you can sister a new stud alongside each of the old studs. Your wall will become a little thicker framed then before but if you are going back with drywall instead of plaster your net result will be a wall of the same thickness.

Run each new stud full length. Studs can be 2x4. If this is an interior wall that needs straightening on both sides, it will work better to treat each side individually - adding two new studs per existing stud - one to straighten out one side and the other for the second side. Once you set a plumb line on each end of the wall, you can use string or a laser as a guide to align the new studs before nailing them to the old.

Jaybee