All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Windows, Walls & Doors    Window Extension Jamb questions
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Window Extension Jamb questions Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Hello, I have 14 pella windows partially installed with factory installed jamb extensions. I have several questions. First, I know I need to shim and nail the side extension jambs to make sure they are level, do I also shim and nail the head extension jamb and sill extension jamb?

Secondly, when it's time to install the stool, how is it attached? Do I simply nail through the stool into the sill extension jamb and into the rough opening lumber? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of SturdyNail
        posted Hide Post
        Are these new construction or replacement windows (i.e.,do they have a nailing flange)?

Did the windows come with installation instructions?

What is the model number of the windows? I'll bet that, if you can't find instructions, there should be some online.

Posts: 324 | Location: Western NewYork | Registered: Jan 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        They are new construction windows. The instructions say nothing about how to shim and nail the factory installed extension jambs. I'm having trouble finding an answer. Thanks

Picture of SturdyNail
        posted Hide Post
        skoons, I'm hoping one of the pros chime in here.
        I will tell you that I installed new construction windows with jamb extensions. I have 2x4 walls and the extensions were pretty solidly attached.
        I used doubled-up shims (one going one way and the other going the other) at the stress points around the window.
        With the shims and canned foam sealant around the edges and nailing flange well attached, it was solid enough that I didn't feel the need to nail through the jamb. Now, if one of the pros comes on and says "fool, you have to nail that extension", I'll do it.
        The interior trim (picture frame molding) will be tacked into the jamb extension too, so that will further strengthen it.
        I did find these instructions for a JeldWen window install http://www.homedepot.com/catal...1f8-cb7ccf14a4ac.pdf

Good luck.

Posts: 324 | Location: Western NewYork | Registered: Jan 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Sturdy,
        Thanks for the response. On most of the windows, the center of the extension jamb was bowed in a little bit, so I had to nail in those areas to pull the jamb in so it was level. A Pella support person said not to nail the head and sill extension jambs, which leads me to the question of, how do I attach the stool when that time comes? Thank you

Picture of SturdyNail
        posted Hide Post
        Maybe this will help:
        http://www.thisoldhouse.com/to.../0,,20046338,00.html

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SturdyNail,