DIY Message Boards
French Doors?

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1491013504/m/4843981177

Jun 09, 2013, 10:42 PM
AlwaysAvocado
French Doors?
Hi ,

I am looking to take out an old window and a door and put in french doors. I found a nice used set each door are full solid dual glass, and it's framed. Im not sure what brand they are, is there anything to look out for when buying something like this used? I won't have my contractor with me...

Thanks in advance...
Jun 09, 2013, 10:47 PM
Jaybee
Be aware that there are interior French doors and exterior French doors. Exterior doors will have a threshold at the bottom, thicker glass or even theromopane glass and some form of locking mechanism. the good doors will latch on the top, middle and bottom. Often a French door will have a primary side and a secondary side. The secondary side will have latched top and bottom to lock it in place and have a dummy knob. The primary door will latch into the secondary.

Beyond that and making sure the wood is sound, the next thing is to properly create a correctly sized rough opening. Since it sounds like you do have a contractor involved, he will know how to do this.

Jaybee
Jun 13, 2013, 03:49 PM
Retro Lou
I completely agree with Jaybee. If your doors don't have a threshold at the bottom you will run into problems with unwanted moisture, dust, dirt, insects, etc. coming into your home. Trust me, I have had that experience and it is NOT pleasant. Also, make sure that they will assure you that both doors are in alignment. It will be really unsightly that once installed, the doors are misaligned.

There's nothing wrong with buying used - you'll just want to make sure you can still use what is used Smile