All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Windows, Walls & Doors    Drywall Screws: #6 vs #8
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Drywall Screws: #6 vs #8 Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I used the last of my 1 5/8" #6 sheetrock screws today. I went to the store and all I could find was 1 5/8" #8's. Did someone make a rule about screw size, or is the store just not stocking two sizes? I know the #6's have a habit of twisting off, but the #8''s are a lot more work to drive, especially in 40 year old wood.

Do Well.

Posts: 13 | Registered: Jan 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        No idea where you live but I've never seen different gauges of sheetrock screws available, And I've never used anything but 1-1/4 screws and they've worked fine.
        What are you trying to drive them with?
        Use an impact driver for far less effort.

joecaption

Posts: 18039 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        One is called course thread and one is called fine thread, both will work.

Make your life easier, purchase one of these then sell it when your done.

http://www.homedepot.com/s/dry...screw%2520gun?NCNI-5

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ron45,

Posts: 907 | Registered: Jan 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I've never seen different gauges of drywall screws either -- and the 1.25 inch is certainly my screw length of choice.

But fine thread drywall screws are meant for use with metal studs, the coarse thread with wood.

Posts: 990 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I've seen them both. 8s would be nice for holding heavier fire-rated sheetrock on the ceiling. 6s are good enough for everything else. hit another yard if you can't find 6s where you went.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5849 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks all. I do not know where I got the idea I needed 1 5/8". That's just what I have always used. (I am a DIY re-modeler so I do sheetrock every 4-5 years or so.) I am using coarse thread. I have some 1 1/4's, but they have a square hole and I need to get a driver bit.

I checked, and the screws I have are phosphate coated and are clearly marked as #8's. The store I bought them from had rows of them, in every box size imaginable, but nothing in number 6. My Wife picked up a box of 2" today. They are not marked with size, but look like # 6's. I will check that brand for 1 1/4's.

Do Well.

Posts: 13 | Registered: Jan 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Usually as the screw gets longer they also get thicker. Actual thickness will vary by brand. I've seen both the #6 and #8 (and even saw an off brand of #7 - news to me as I thought they were always even numbers).

For residential drywall, either will work. As already pointed out the important thing is the length (1-1/4" for 1/2" drywall) and the type of thread (coarse for wood and fine for metal studs.)

Jaybee

Posts: 10477 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post