All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Windows, Walls & Doors    window draft
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

window draft Sign In/Join 
        posted
        can someone explain what would be a reasonable amount of cold air at the window. Today its 1 degree in Maryland. I have 3yr old new construction United windows...5500 series. We have never felt it this cold at the window. Today with the wind, it feels like cold air is blowing under the window. The manufacture said it might be the under window weather strip, but on a today like today you will feel more cold air at the window. I'm going to replace the strips.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jan 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        There are three main areas that may show the cold:

1. The insulation between the window and the walls. This would be a part of the construction process of installing the windows. All gaps between the window and the rough opening need to be filled with some form of insulation. You can check to see what's there by removing the window casing. Any gaps should be filled, preferably with a low expansion foam.

2. The window seals - this would be a part of the window. Make sure that the seals between any moving parts of the window are in place. If they are damaged they can be replaced.

3. Cold intrusion through the glass. Not much you can do here. A good window will provide between R-3 and R-5 of insulation via it's glass. That compares to a typical R-15 for an average wall. So on a day like today with extreme cold temperatures, even a good window will feel cold.

Jaybee

Posts: 10478 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I think weather stripping replacement can help. I had a similar situation with my window. Replacing helped me solve the problem of draft.

Posts: 8 | Registered: Mar 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post