All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Windows, Walls & Doors    Bay window Repair
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Bay window Repair Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Im House hunting and came across a property I am really interested in, the visible problem i can see is the bay window. Im wondering if any of you DIY fanatics Could tell me if it is repairable or do i need to replace it? Ive added a link for the pictures Bay window

Posts: 2 | Registered: Oct 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        You don't have to replace the entire bay window (unless there is a lot more damage than shown in the pics). It's too much damage for a fill - plus that's already been tried. You are looking at new window sashes. You may be able to rebuild with the same glass or, if the glass is single pane, you could get new, exact size thermopane windows to fit right in.

Jaybee

Posts: 10477 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        You can try to clean it up, get rid of the old paint, varnish the window over with special solution, repaint it and I think this construction will serve you for a while

Posts: 8 | Registered: Mar 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Going to have to do some more digging to see if the frame, sill is also rotted under that cladding.
        If it was me I find out what a whole new installed window would cost and take that right off the asking price to cover my butt.
        Sashes are simple enough to change but your going to be spending about 3/4 of the cost of a whole new window and still be stuck with an old style wooden frame.

joecaption

Posts: 18039 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post