DIY Message Boards
Bay window Repair

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1491013504/m/4343924477

Oct 08, 2013, 06:41 PM
doorsmaniac
Bay window Repair
Im House hunting and came across a property I am really interested in, the visible problem i can see is the bay window. Im wondering if any of you DIY fanatics Could tell me if it is repairable or do i need to replace it? Ive added a link for the pictures Bay window
Oct 08, 2013, 08:18 PM
Jaybee
You don't have to replace the entire bay window (unless there is a lot more damage than shown in the pics). It's too much damage for a fill - plus that's already been tried. You are looking at new window sashes. You may be able to rebuild with the same glass or, if the glass is single pane, you could get new, exact size thermopane windows to fit right in.

Jaybee
Mar 21, 2014, 09:54 AM
J.Castro
You can try to clean it up, get rid of the old paint, varnish the window over with special solution, repaint it and I think this construction will serve you for a while
Mar 23, 2014, 07:00 AM
joecaption
Going to have to do some more digging to see if the frame, sill is also rotted under that cladding.
If it was me I find out what a whole new installed window would cost and take that right off the asking price to cover my butt.
Sashes are simple enough to change but your going to be spending about 3/4 of the cost of a whole new window and still be stuck with an old style wooden frame.

joecaption