All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Windows, Walls & Doors    Hire window company or contractor?
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Hire window company or contractor? Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I'm planning to have my 46-year old single-pane windows replaced in the home I bought this past year but have several other projects (ranging from small to large) and will probably hire a handyman/contractor to handle. Should I just let the contractor handle all? Or is it best/cost-effective to have window experts install windows? I'm sure it depends on knowledge of contractor but am wondering if there is a rule of thumb? I live in a very modest house/neighborhood. Want a good job of course but I do not need top of the line/showcase home windows. Cost is definitely a consideration. Thanks -

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jun 19, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I'd have the contractor do it -- you're a regular customer with that contractor. With a window company, you might be nothing more than a take the money and run project. Are they going to replace the whole window, or do inserts, I vote whole window.

Posts: 950 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Re-mdlr and I are both GC's but I'll give an alternate viewpoint. If all you are doing is replacing windows then the window-only company is going to be able to do this at a much better price. The key of course is finding a reputable company to do the work. Shouldn't be too hard.

I just know that price-wise, I cannot touch the price of the window replacement guys.

OTOH, if you are dong other work to the house too, then you could be better off with a GC handling all the details.

Jaybee

Posts: 10305 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks you both, very much! I appreciate having both perspectives. I know it was not a DIY question but I really need some help with bigger projects and will have plenty of DIY projects of my own later. Re-mdlr, I appreciate your thought on whole window. I've been hearing alot about replacement of sashes only but would rather do whole window. Plus I have musty smell coming from frames and suspect rot or something. (?) Jaybee, appreciate comment on price. It's something for me to think about. (PS I am also Knoxville native!) Thanks again!

posted Hide Post
        I've got one customer that had insert windows installed -- 75% of them leaked water to the inside of the house. If they leak water inside, you know they leak conditioned air to the outside. Doesn't sound very 'efficient' to me.

Posts: 950 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        While I would like tell you that going the general contractor route is the better route, pricing comes into play. We too have found apples to apples GCs can not compete with supplier/installers. How S/Is can quote price per unit and install at a cheaper wholesale price we get is not a level playing field. But what in life is fair? Big Grin {Echoing what Jaybee has posted about your choice}. Do we still install vinyl replacement windows? Yes. As many as 10 years ago? Nope. Just the way of the world.

Finding someone qualified with top shelf references is paramount, as is any home improvement. Good luck.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CommonwealthSparky,

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1433 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Re-mdlr: Wow .... good to know, definitely don't need leaking! CommonwealthSparky - thanks for the info! It's a little big nerve-wracking but I'll check references and hope for the best. Thanks everyone!