All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Windows, Walls & Doors    Garage door open again after closing
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Garage door open again after closing Sign In/Join 
        posted
        There is a problem with my garage door, Craftsman, 1/2 H.P.. When I close it by remote or wall key, it will open automatically when it reach to 2/3. It doesn't happen each time. There is no problem when I open it. How to repair it?

Posts: 3 | Registered: Aug 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        assuming the door opener was correctly set up when it was installed, the door is binding. while it might be lack of lubrication on the track/screwdrive/chain, it's most likely the trim has swelled and is rubbing too hard on the face of the door. try a little stick lube or a quick spray of WD-40. if that helps, you might need to loosen the track to front bolts and pull the track back just a gnat's hair.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5478 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        In addition to Sws's comment, it could be the down force adjustment. I'd definitely check for binding, lube the door rollers, the spring (especially if torsion springs) before adjusting anything on the opener. If the door moves freely when disconnected from the GDO, I'd look for the down force adjustment screw, usually it will have a little arrow pointing down, its buddy the upforce has an arrow pointing up. Adjust it a quarter turn and try it again, repeat as needed.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 605 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        the thing about the downforce adjustment is that with all the gollywog mandates safety dealies, increasing the force will probably make the door flunk the "paper towel roll" test. that makes it a pet and baby crusher.

note I mentioned "properly adjusted." I don't recommend touching any opener adjustments until and unless you read and fully understand the original owners' manual, and do the tests.

thus, back the door tracks off a little bit and live with drafts.

if you mess with the upper track adjustments, it is possible to keystone the door and have it fall on your head. this I don't recommend Wink you have to stand way back and carefully watch the door as it is manually operated from the outside to be sure you aren't growing a larger gap between panels and rails.

lot of ways to get caught in the doors. all I did when replacing my junk door and opener was get a nice cut muscling off a seized nut on the arm. that officially made it... a project.

// edit // no, darn it, the OTHER seized nut. on the track. geez, folks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

Posts: 5478 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        Also, just to make sure?
        Check those electric eyes that reverse the door if something breaks the light near the bottom. Just something randomly dangling or blown across the beam can also cause the door to randomly reverse.

We have an extra open/close button beside/inside the garage door, and once had a pair of hedge clippers that mistakenly got hung above and over it. As the door was closing, sometimes the clippers would randomly swing (vibration) just a bit and press lightly against the button, and reverse the door. DH thought we may need a new opener, but I quickly was able to find the culprit. Smile

Posts: 6859 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        I've found that Conrads solution is the most common. A little dirt or cobwebs across the safety eye or one that is just a little loose will cause the condition that you have with your door. The door movement will vibrate the sensors just enough so that they go out of align - causing it to react like there is an obstruction and reversing the door.

Jaybee

Posts: 10099 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I once had continuing trouble in a previous life with computer terminals in the admin building that wouldn't talk, and it was driving me ragged.

chased the cable several times, nothing stood out. ohmed out OK.

one day, I caught it. there was a storage room in the chapel on campus that we also had to have splice cases in. full of junk. junk that moved. and when the fire extinguisher got in the way, big chromed metal job, they hung it on a wobbly nail... and it shorted out intermittently whatever wire pairs it was resting on.

pulled the nail, posted a sign, taped the covers on, problem solved.

intermittents. yesterday I spent all afternoon chasing trouble taking down 135 DSL customers in a piece of equipment ten states away. turns out every active card in that system had a different occasional failure, they all interacted, and the poor field tech had a (heck) call to end his day.