All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Windows, Walls & Doors    Door Knob Issues - Need Help
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Door Knob Issues - Need Help Sign In/Join 
        posted
        This is the second time (in the past 2 years) I've had to replace the door knob between the house and the garage. Both times that the door knob broke, the handle turns but the bolt does not engage or move (leaving me to pry the bolt over with a small screw driver while pulling, and then having to replace the knob). Is it a random coincidence that two door knobs have had the same problem (when I've never experienced this ever before on any other door knob), or could there be something wrong with the door/frame/etc. that is causing them to brake prematurely? Any feedback or opinions would be appreciated before I install yet another replacement door knob.

Posts: 39 | Registered: Dec 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        The only way it would be 'normal' would be if both knobs were really cheap ones. For most houses, the door from the garage is the main entry door, used many times each day. That warrants buying a good quality knob.

If the strike is not lining up with the strike plate then it could be adding a lot of friction and drag that causes the knob to break quickly. Usually a good quality knob will last for many years.

Jaybee

Posts: 10429 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I'll have to check the alignment when I install the new one then. I don't know what constitutes good quality, but I think it was schlage from Home Depot.

Posts: 39 | Registered: Dec 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Schlage is a quality lockset, about as good as you can get in a home center.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5822 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Maybe it's the high level of humidity that constantly affect the door and deforms it. In this case it is better to process doors with special composition that will protect them from moisture and deformation, which in turn will decrease the risk of door knob breakage

Posts: 8 | Registered: Mar 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post