DIY Message Boards
Door Knob Issues - Need Help

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1491013504/m/3933907008

Jan 22, 2014, 06:04 PM
MassIS300
Door Knob Issues - Need Help
This is the second time (in the past 2 years) I've had to replace the door knob between the house and the garage. Both times that the door knob broke, the handle turns but the bolt does not engage or move (leaving me to pry the bolt over with a small screw driver while pulling, and then having to replace the knob). Is it a random coincidence that two door knobs have had the same problem (when I've never experienced this ever before on any other door knob), or could there be something wrong with the door/frame/etc. that is causing them to brake prematurely? Any feedback or opinions would be appreciated before I install yet another replacement door knob.
Jan 22, 2014, 06:13 PM
Jaybee
The only way it would be 'normal' would be if both knobs were really cheap ones. For most houses, the door from the garage is the main entry door, used many times each day. That warrants buying a good quality knob.

If the strike is not lining up with the strike plate then it could be adding a lot of friction and drag that causes the knob to break quickly. Usually a good quality knob will last for many years.

Jaybee
Jan 22, 2014, 06:44 PM
MassIS300
I'll have to check the alignment when I install the new one then. I don't know what constitutes good quality, but I think it was schlage from Home Depot.
Jan 23, 2014, 11:43 AM
swschrad
Schlage is a quality lockset, about as good as you can get in a home center.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?
Mar 21, 2014, 09:06 AM
J.Castro
Maybe it's the high level of humidity that constantly affect the door and deforms it. In this case it is better to process doors with special composition that will protect them from moisture and deformation, which in turn will decrease the risk of door knob breakage