All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Windows, Walls & Doors    pocket door
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

pocket door Sign In/Join 
        Picture of crysta
        posted
        Just noticed when closing my pocket door, it seemed to have bellied out on the top making it difficult to open and close. There is an air condition on so wouldn't be from the heat. Wondering why this happened and can it be fixed or do I need to buy a new door.

Posts: 9 | Registered: Jul 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        bellied

Not sure what bellied out means.
        Got a picture?

joecaption

Posts: 17987 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of crysta
        posted Hide Post
        Here is a picture of the door. The problem area is the top part of the door.
        Thanks!

pocket door

Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Sorry the pictures way to small.

joecaption

Posts: 17987 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of crysta
        posted Hide Post
        Sorry will not let me upload anything larger

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Crysta, try these suggestions:

1. Check Simply_Me's good instructions in "The porch that went bad" post under Outdoor Projects in the Home Improvement Section":

http://boards.diynetwork.com/e...943964177#3943964177

2. Or Click on Tools below the DIY Message Boards toolbar, then click Help, then "How to Post Photos."

Are you trying to say that the top of the door is swollen and expanded?

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        by holding the ctrl. button on my keyboard while rolling the wheel on the mouse, I was able to expand the photo. But it's still a bad pic. try another photo and post it with www.photobucket.com

Posts: 2502 | Location: florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        That's a neat trick, Nona. I wasn't aware a photo could be enlarged that way.

Picture of crysta
        posted Hide Post
        Ok tried uploading picture
        Yes the top part is swollen on one side, you can actually push it in if you press hard enough, but once you let go it pops out. So when you're sliding it back the top part about 12inches of the door is scrapping on the side. Hope this make sense, sorry hard to explain.

posted Hide Post
        sorry , still don't have the pic. , but, it sounds like the panel is delaminating and the glue between the skin and the frame has deteriorated, try reglueing and using a brad or pin nailer re secure it
        And, Sprite, see what you can learn from an old fa*t Razz

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nona,

Posts: 2502 | Location: florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of crysta
        posted Hide Post
        OK I think the picture is there now

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Crysta, I don't see any change in the picture. Your description is fine; I can visualize the outside layer of the door separating from the rest of the door. I've seen it a few times - the outside layer almost kind of buckles and creates a space between it and the internal layers. Nona described it more technically and better than I can.

quote:
        Originally posted by nona:

And, Sprite, see what you can learn from an old fa*t Razz

Oh, hey, what's this "old" business?!
        You're only as old as you feel. And I prefer to think that as I age I'm not getting old but rather becoming more vintage, like a good wine. So, Nona, think of yourself as a bottle of fine wine!

Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Your door is bowed and delaminated. You can spend a lot of time to try to glue it back and plane it out - only to get a not-too-good result. Or, just order a new door. If it's a solid core it's still only going to run about $125. Half that if it's hollow.

Jaybee

Posts: 10101 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        it doesn't really matter, but I still cant get the photo, nor a link to it. any help here ?

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Nona,

Crysta has posted a much larger photo in this same section, in a post titled "Crysta". It shows the bowing of the door at the top and in the lower part.

http://boards.diynetwork.com/e...1013504/m/6293934277

Try this - I "detached" the image:

http://boards.diynetwork.com/e...B92DC6B137EAF352.jpg

I was unsuccessful in copying into this response though. Post back if you still can't see it.

Picture of crysta
        posted Hide Post
        Thank you Garden Sprite, I'm glad you can see it

This message has been edited. Last edited by: crysta,

Picture of crysta
        posted Hide Post
        Well It looks like I'll have to get a new door, just very strange one day it was fine and the next day this happened. I want to thank everyone for all your help. I know I will be posting more, since I am remodeling my home and will be in need of some good advice Smile

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Crysta, just to clarify: this happened literally overnight? I've been wondering what caused this to happen so suddenly, or perhaps that's part of the characteristic of the delamination.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,

Picture of crysta
        posted Hide Post
        I had the door for about 8 months or so, not really an old door and it was fine, Also have 2 other pocket doors and they are all fine. Just went to shut this one and had a hard time doing so. If you press hard enough it will pop in only to pop back out when you let go.