All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Windows, Walls & Doors    Sliding Door Replacement
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Sliding Door Replacement Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I am trying to replace my sliding glass door and can't find a similar replacement. It is a single sided sliding glass door and the track is on the outside running against the wall. Is this a standard door or did the guy who owned the house before me rig something up? Thanks for the comments.

Posts: 2 | Location: United States | Registered: Aug 28, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        From the look of it this was once a 'normal' slider - in that there was a sliding panel and a fixed glass one too. It appears that they removed the fixed glass and walled in that space, keeping the track on the outside.

So basically it's a custom door made from stock sliding door pieces.

Jaybee

Posts: 10500 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks Jaybee. I thought that at first, but there is only one groove in the track. I chipped away the stucco and there's just concrete block, no second side to the track. The house was built in 1971 and there is an exact duplicate door in the living room(this one is by the kitchen). I am trying to find a replacement for it. Is there a new door like this or do I need to change to a french door?

Posts: 2 | Location: United States | Registered: Aug 28, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Three options:

1. Find a new version of the original door. As it was built in 1971 and big, sliding doors are not as popular as they were then, probably not going to happen.

2. Replace it with a different door. AS long as you have rough-opening sizes that will be compatible with stock door sizes, this should not be too difficult. Or too expensive, depending on what type of door you get.

3. Check with a local glass shop to see if they can make you a duplicate door. The door is basically an aluminum frame with glass and some rollers. As long as the rollers match up with the track, this should be a viable option.

Jaybee

Posts: 10500 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        It appears to be a cut down 8-foot slider....
        http://www.houzz.com/8-foot-Mi...luminum-Sliding-Door

Posts: 921 | Registered: Jan 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post