All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Windows, Walls & Doors    Interior Paint/Plaster Bubbling
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Interior Paint/Plaster Bubbling Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Need some advice. My house is 100 years old and is load bearing brick on a stone foundation. It is all plaster construction with the interior of the outside walls having the plaster directly on the brick. The interior of one of the outside walls is bubbling and peeling. The wall is along a set of stairs to the second floor. At the top of the steps is an old leaky window and across from the window is a full bath (no fan). The peeling is around the window and continues intermittently two thirds of the way down the stairs where it stops. The wall is cold to the touch during the winter. I've primed and painted but it just bubbled again. How can I prevent the peeling? Will a new window and a bathroom fan fix the problem? Attached is a crude drawing of the area. Thanks!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Dec 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        Continuously bubbling paint, after priming and repainting is nearly always the result of moisture in the wall behind the painted surface. The paint/plaster separates from the wall surface and does not stay adhered.

If this is a recent issue, I would look at what is happening on the outside of the house. A failed gutter system, rotted fascia board allowing moisture to get into and between the brick wall, roof issue with leaks in attic? The window (and flashing around it) could well be a contributor but really look at the exterior for rain/water infiltration from all possible sources. Until any issues here have been resolved and allowed to dry out, I doubt you will have much luck with paint or plaster holding up.

Helpful also to have a geographic location for your home, so we know what weather issues may be common, for the best advice.

Posts: 6894 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post