All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Windows, Walls & Doors    Please give advice on installing French Patio Doors
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Please give advice on installing French Patio Doors Sign In/Join 
        posted
        We have had patio doors delivered to our garage. Now we just have to install them! One issue... we have to transport them around to the back of the house - through grass and then up 4 stairs of our deck gate. Any easy transport ideas out there?? We plan on installing this weekend. Thanks so very much in advance for any advice!!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Oct 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of SturdyNail
        posted Hide Post
        I think you need people.
        Just last weekend, I installed a double casement window that was definitely too heavy for me to handle by myself. My window is considerable smaller than your patio doors, so I was able to use a hand truck to move it from the garage to the side of the house. Every time it needed to be hoisted though, I needed to enlist my wife's help.
        My daughter also helped by being a set of eyes on the inside of the house.
        I'd advise spending as much time as necessary to prepare the new opening. I used a 2x4 cut to the width of the opening I needed. When the 2x4 fit, I knew the window would fit.
        If the rough opening is ready to go, the crew that helps you carry the door can also be the crew that helps you put it in place, level and plumb it, and secure it.
        Think of your helpers as "hired hands". The less standing around they have to do, the better. I know my wife got pretty "antsy" when the window wouldn't fit the first time (before I employed the help of the 2x4).

Posts: 339 | Location: Western NewYork | Registered: Jan 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Unpack in the garage, pop the hinge pins on the doors and remove them. Then carry the frame and doors around back separately and reassemble in front of the rough opening.

Jaybee

Posts: 10454 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        To SturdyNail: Thank you so much for this sound advice! I will definitely need an extra hand or two. Thinking of enlisting our neighbors as well.
        To Jaybee: What a brilliant idea!! Is there anything I need to be careful of when re-assembling the doors back in to the frame?
        Boards are such an excellent device to get as much help as possible! Thank you again!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Oct 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Nothing special to do, the frame will tend to square itself once you rehang the doors back on their hinges.

Jaybee

Posts: 10454 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        And yet another helpful link to keep on file for the next time anyone installs a french garage door.

Jaybee