All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Windows, Walls & Doors    Exterior window trim; proper drip cap
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Exterior window trim; proper drip cap Sign In/Join 
        Picture of SturdyNail
        posted
        I need to replace the trim on a couple of windows. I'd like the new cap to look similar to the old stuff (doesn't need to be exact).
        In the attached image we see; the old trim, Azek Drip Cap, and Aluminum drip cap
        Would I use the Aluminum cap under the Azek drip cap?
        How do I fasten the cap to the window (trim)?
        It seems that I need to minimize the use of nails and/or screws.
        Is the drip cap installed with tight contact (possibly glued) against the top window trim?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SturdyNail,

Existing cap w/possible replacements

Posts: 321 | Location: Western NewYork | Registered: Jan 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        The Azak drip edge is just for looks, it's the aluminum flashing piece that does all the work. When installed correctly, the aluminum piece goes up behind the siding, then out over the top of the window trim. This guarantees that any water cannot get up behind the siding.

You could install just the aluminum, but it doesn't look nearly as good - especially since you would like to match the existing look.

Jaybee

Posts: 10424 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of SturdyNail
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks Jaybee. That makes sense.
        How should I fasten the Azek? It seems I should minimize penetrations of the aluminum flashing.

Posts: 321 | Location: Western NewYork | Registered: Jan 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Caulk it in place. Do not. Do not. Do not put any holes in the aluminum flashing!!!! The only place to nail through the flashing would be through the siding near the top edge of the flashing just to hold the flashing in place. However, most times even that is not needed as the flashing is pinned behind the siding and then caulked.

Jaybee

Posts: 10424 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post