All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Decorating    Need help with my living room!!! (Personal Album)
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools
        Add Comment
        Need help with my living room!!! Sign In/Join 
        by lovinnc (created on )Gallery | Comments 
        We have recently bought a new home & I really need some help arranging & decorating. I like the rustic/country look that is warm but modern. I need to work with our existing furniture but am not opposed to painting any of it or slip-covers for the 2 chairs. I also need to work with the carpet that is in here as we can't change it right now & previous owners had just installed it so it is in very good condition. Here are some of my thoughts...I know it's all dark but I'm thinking I can lighten it up & give it some color with accessories...curtains, pillows, rugs, etc and maybe painting some of the wood furniture. The room is a very odd shape & it is open to the kitchen/bar & eat-in kitchen area.The pics start from the left side of the room & then go all the way around. The fireplace is brick & we are seriously thinking about lime washing it. My husband has already taken the mantel down to start the lime wash...as you will see it is on the floor in front of the fireplace. We are also thinking to have the mantel planed down so it's not as thick (the top is warped anyway) & staining it darker. We also are planning on mounting the tv on the wall. Any ideas & suggestions will be really welcomed!!!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 04, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        You already have a good basis for the country/rustic look in the earth tones and neutrals of the furniture and carpeting. I would accentuate that and bring out the colors as well as linking them together with strategic placements. I would first start with the simpler accessories.

The walls could use some attention, not only in changing what appears to be a sort of greige color, but in accessories, although I wouldn't paint the walls until adding the smaller accessorites as they may achieve the look you desire.

Sconces and wood items would make good wall accessories and bring out the colors of the wood and the furniture.

Depending on where you live and how anxious you are to start, you could pick up some very nice homemade wooden items for your walls at arts and crafts fairs held during the summer. They're more likely to be better made and more unique than store bought items.

Add pillows and throws or quilts if you're a quilter, keeping to the earth tone color theme.

The flowers on the stand provide a really nice touch of color; you could add more vases of silk flowers if you're not in an area where you can garden year round or can't afford the high cost of fresh flowers (and they are expensive!)

You can also compliment the earth tone theme with smaller items in a range of ivories, beige, and mochas. This could include throws and pillows.

I didn't think the rooms were dark except for one photo, but I think that was because of the angle. And you do have a chandeler and can easily add some lamps with a country touch.

The drapes could stay with just the addition of more earth tone drapes which just flank each end of the window; use the same color of earth tone for the flankers are each window to tie the room together. They'll allow the window treatments to blend in with the color scheme and not appear to be so isolated.

As you gradually add the small things, you can determine if you want to make any more serious changes, such as covering any of the furniture or painting the walls. But I frankly wouldn't paint the furniture; natural wood tones to me are more in keeping with the look you're trying to create.

It wouldn't hurt to add some greenery, either with houseplants or silk flowers, especially flanking the entrance to the kitchen to blend the room transition and on both sides of the fireplace on on the ledge at the base.

If you don't use the fireplace, you could also put some nice brass pots, perhaps with artificial ferns.

Add a wreath to the door as well.

Years ago I used to buy from the Sturbridge Yankee Workshop- they had some really nice colonial and Early American fixtures, which aren't country but could blend in fairly well.

If you want to add furniture, add it in the form of furniture that bridges styles, such as a dry sink or antique ice boxes (I bought my ice box in a kit and assembled it).

I think the biggest thing to do first is add some wall treatments with accesories. And have fun!

Posts: 1899 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I think you can add some granite or marble counter tops to your kitchen and living room tables tops as these gorgeous stones will also add to the beauty of your house. Use warm shades for this purpose and match them with your wall colors as well.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TerryLeal,

Terry Leal

Posts: 2 | Location: 4593 Goldie Lane Cincinnati, OH 45202 | Registered: Apr 30, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Even I'm thinking of redoing my living room and I like your idea of adding colors to the living room with the help of accessories.

Ashley Furniture HomeStore

Posts: 10 | Registered: Jun 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        art. photos. before spending a ton of money, make it yours with some simple accessories. a "line shack" out in the boonies, where you skin your bears and wait out raging blizzards ,is the only place where "rustic" means "you got nothing." don't make it look like a fake country restaurant with all sorts of kerappe from the junkpile nailed up, but put up some art prints or pictures of the kids in clownland to put some color in there before maxing out the charge cards.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5714 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post