All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  TV Shows  Hop To Forums  Desperate Landscapes    Forest of a backyard. (Personal Album)
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools
        Add Comment
        Forest of a backyard. Sign In/Join 
        by Amanda Butler (created on )Gallery | Comments 
        This is they back yard at my parents house. My parents dont have the time nor the money to get it cleaned up.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Amanda Butler,

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        then you and brothers/sisters, friends/neighbors, whomever you can round up for a weekend of fun and frolic with power tools get to do them a favor. these boards are not a pipeline to get a TV show out your way and do your work, but a place to swap ideas and make fun of spammers. I do see a grill... make sure it has modern gas fittings and a full tank, get some bulk packs of burgers, dogs, and buns, some of that cheap cheap pop and whatever, make pitchers of lemon water, and get a crew together to take out the weed trees and prune the nice ones, cut the grass/weeds, and maybe you can spring for some blocks and put down a nice patio and find a closeout or yard sale table and chairs.

TIP: the little tent garden centers are closing down for the season, over the past week in our area. catch them right before they load stuff up and trash it, and you can fill the car full of plants. just what you need for around the borders, and some of these places will give them to you free. the rest, darn near free.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5520 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        If they live in a community which has code enforcement, they'll contract out the cleanup and charge your parents for the work. If unpaid, it can become a lien against the property.

I write this without intention to be critical, but it might be appropriate to consider how the yard got this way and institute some remedial action. If your parents are seniors and can't afford to maintain the yard, check with their local community's senior division to see if chore services are offered for low income seniors.

This could be a hazard for their health, especially if they're in a mosquito populated area.

Good luck.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        also, check online to see a picture of "giant pigweed." if there is any of that in that yard (deep south mostly,) S T O P !! that stuff is as corrosive on skin as juggling chain saws after a day of drinking. do not EVER try and take out giant pigweed, hire professionals. I am serious about that. whenever something gets way overgrown like this, I want to look up what's growing.

Posts: 5520 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Swschrad, now you've got me worried and confused. I googled giant pigweed and found some photos of a huge almost monstrous plant, but also of a much smaller weed that I've seen in my own garden, and hasn't caused any skin problems when I've weeded it - although I do wear gloves.

I've also found links to amaranth, which is a grain and is edible.

Which is the pigweed that's so dangerous?

http://www-public.jcu.edu.au/d...common/JCUDEV_012572

http://thecontraryfarmer.files.../2013/02/pigweed.jpg (this looks like the dangerous stuff)

http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/amapa.htm

Any clarifications?

And on the subject of mutant vicious weeds, thistle is another of which to beware. It grows aggressively and could easily be found lurking somewhere in the backyard "forest".

posted Hide Post
        the contrary farmer has a picture of the nasty. that stuff will put boils on bones.

wild mustard is also not fun to scuff your legs through, but it's not in the same class at all.

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks for the clarification.

Fortunately, I've never seen this stuff in my yard. I do have wild mustard but so far it's just an occasional weed.

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        And thank YOU Curtis for that insightful bit of spam.

Jaybee

Posts: 10152 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Jaybee, if you think the post is "insightful", take a look at his profile Big Grin in which he (?) states that he is a "business man". Wow! How much more specific can you get?

Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        hire a guy with a tractor and a bush hog
        it will take him a couple of hours to clean it up

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post