All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  TV Shows  Hop To Forums  Yard Crashers    How to hide Storm Drain in Backyard (Personal Album)
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools
        Add Comment
        How to hide Storm Drain in Backyard Sign In/Join 
        by DRNFS (created on )Gallery | Comments 
        Pictures to help describe my problem with the storm drain in my backyard. Please help so I can move my fence back to my actual property corner and not in front of the swale and storm drain.

Posts: 3 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: Jul 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Are you asking for suggestions from the posters here or from the show hosts? If the latter, they don't appear here - despite the show references and threads, the people who contribute here are posters here who help out others with advice.

Posts: 1949 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I am looking for suggestions from others, anyone really. As well if someone else had a similar issue and can show before and after photos that would be awesome. Any advice would help. I live in Georgia so please use as a regency when suggesting plant types. Thanks.

Posts: 3 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: Jul 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        First, is there an easement anywhere in the area of the drain that might restrict installation of anything (including a fence) and/or planting anything?

I'm assuming that this is a municipally installed drain system that you want to change, and in my experience in Michigan, governmental drains typically are protected by easements which prevent any installations or plants in a specified range around the installations.

Second, I'm not at all familiar with this kind of drain on a private property, so my answers may reflect a lack of knowledge of what can be done around those types of drains, and I've never seen anything like this, so I'm not really sure how it functions.

Third, do you have children or are there any that play in your yard that you'll need to keep away from the drain and related area?

If you have freedom to do what you want, I could see hiding the area first with some annuals such as cannas, either directly in the ground or in container plants if the ground isn't suitable for planting.

Add some tall perennials inbetween so they can be established now and be thicker next year.

You could also create tiers of plantings, with the highest surrounding the drain and the lowest the farthest out and closer to the open yard area. This would also disguise any small fence you might want to put around the metal area to prevent access by animals or children.

I'm thinking of a circular configuration that would extend out over the area and completely hide it.

Using taller plants in back with smaller ones in front also creates a nice focal point with a terraced presentation, and appears to be an actual design element rather than a disguise. Bricks laid level into the ground could accent the design aspect.

Add a bird bath or small statuary if you're inclined to.

If you need examples of this, let me know; Ihave seen plenty of these kinds of tiered beds in magazines and might be able to find some online.

I'm not familiar with plants native to the Georgia area, but these plants survive in SE Michigan and I'm sure would survive in your area: delphiniums, foxglove, hollyhocks, ostrich ferns are examples of perennials. The first two are tall and generally narrow, but the ferns fan out, provide texture and depth, and complement the more slender plants.

If you have enough shade, a variety of hostas could provide the front tiers of the circle. They're beautiful foliage plants and have been hybridized to create quite an array of foliage designs.

You can also Google plants native to your agricultural zone.

Flowering shrubs such as the butterfly bush, hydrangeas (especially beautiful with a lot of varieties from which to choose), viburnums, and others which produce fruit would provide food for wildlife and could be considerations.

There are some flowering shrubs that also provide nice fall color.

Another option is to use the fence as a trellis and grow vining plants up it to create a plant wall. Wisteria comes to mind. Sweet peas would be beautiful but there might be too much sun for the area. If you want to attract birds, plant sunflowers.

Climbing roses are always a good bet; the Knockoff series are reportedly especially adaptable and less fussy than hybrids, floribundas and heirlooms.

I would suggest a dry stream bed filled with rocks and possibly some low growers like sweet alyssum, Lambs Ear or sedums for the lower area, but I suspect that area needs to remain free of vegetation which could interfere with flow of the water, or at least configured with piles of rocks at specified intervals as I've seen here in Michigan.

I'm not really sure if these suggestions speak to your query or not...I'm just kind of guessing as to what you want to do design wise.

There are others here who can address the French drain issue; I don't have that knowledge or experience.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,

Posts: 1949 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        I would think a simple ground level 'deck' structure would hide the ugly and still allow the drain to work. Not sure how that would affect your fencing plans.

Jaybee

Posts: 10454 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        don't get it. is that your property where you want to move the visible fence? is that as GardenStater asks a dedicated easement? if so, it's not yours unless the city guys permit it and you allow 24x7 access, including trucks and nasty lawn-wrecking digging machines. seems your first step is to go to City Hall and see the city engineering staff about whether this is even possible.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5832 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post