All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Windows, Walls & Doors    Front door won't close and leaks (Personal Album)
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools
        Add Comment
        Front door won't close and leaks Sign In/Join 
        by Jason080977 (created on )Gallery | Comments 
        This is an addendum to my earlier post, with pictures. Orange door very hard to close, vestibule leaks. Patch job didn't work. Door leaks air in winter. Vestibule getting damaged by water. Need to fix properly this time and I don't know how. Thanks for your help.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Sep 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Just to let you know, I could only get through the first two rows of photos and partway through the third row before the Runtime program froze. This happened three times before I gave up.

Perhaps it's just my computer but I thought I'd let you know in case others are having problems as well.

It looks like the orange door is the internal door, there's a concrete sort of stoop with a very small vestibule, or actually a large space between the internal and external doors, and then the external white framed door. Is this accurate?

Is the orange door hard to move in the open position or just when you try to close it, or both? It does look as if it's been painted more than a few times and fits pretty tightly. Same with the white exterior areas. Which door leaks air? The orange or the white one?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Garden sprite,

Thank you for commenting. I'll look into the picture issue. The orange door is the main door, the white is a storm door that can have a screen put in. The space between the two doors is just enough to stand in and get the mail (a small mailbox fits along the side wall.)

The orange door is only hard to close, it swings freely otherwise. The orange one leaks air.

Again thank you.

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Just a basic suggestion, not very analytical or sophisticated...

Are you in a high moisture area, or one which periodically experiences high moisture? Here in Michigan my side wood door swells during periods of high rain and I have trouble closing it. Because I end up pushing it, the screws tend to work loose so I have to periodically tighten them.

It only happens with the door that's used the most. Front door is fine and doesn't swell.

Just something to think about.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I have a thought but wanna know first when does it leak? And is it hard to shut all the time or some of the time?

Posts: 24 | Registered: Dec 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        It's hard to shut and open all the time, maybe worse in the summer. The vestibule ceiling leaks when it rains, moderately or more. Thanks.

posted Hide Post
        My door faces a field and during storms when the wind is blowing the rain toward the house we take on water. It was improperly installed by previous owner and his solution was to foam it shut. We have since made it usable. But the real damage was done. And much of the area around the door has swelled or is deteriorated. Do you see any rub marks where the door is touching when it is closed?

posted Hide Post
        Did you caulk behind the storm door frame before you put it in? Also in picture 12 it seems that the face of the wall is in front of the storm door. So as water hits the face of the wall it runs down and into the top of the storm door frame and does not have a way to exit other then the vestibule. Maybe a small piece of flashing/drip edge that allows the water running down the face of the trim to drip in front of the door instead running back to the door and entering the storm door. Also noticed the flashing above the door where stone meets wood looks a bit bent up. And at the bottom of the wood door the rain gaurd(that has the drip edge on it)seems to be in pushing on the gasket which will cause wind to enter the house.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: raidencmck,